Saturday, September 17, 2005

QBA 502 - Managerial Decision Analysis Post-Mortem

Okay, I've been a slacker and haven't posted in a month. All I was committing to was one post per class, and here I'm going to try and do TWO! Though, this one will likely be brief - just wanted to get a post-mortem on Statistics. Yes, it's a good two weeks after the fact - I'm gettin' there!

As promised, weeks 2 and 3 were the toughest. I got through them alright, though - again, having had a good bit of statistics, the course was overall a good reintroduction to school for me.

Weeks 4 and 5 were very much easier - predicated on your understanding of the prior weeks, anyway.

The final exam was actually rather tough. Primarily this was because of the way it was administered, though I appreciate the respect for equality. Basically, the professor wanted to make sure each student had the same information for the final - so, he just elected to not answer any more questions after the final was made available, which was Wednesday of week 6 (due Sunday night). This was a widely publicized fact, well in advance, so it wasn't like it was a surprise announcement or anything. A little "all or nothing", I guess, but I appreciate that everybody who took the final - nation- and world-wide - had the exact same experience/information/etc that I did - nobody had the advantage over me of extra information. However, that didn't make it any easier, when I had questions I really wanted some clarification on. I think I'm a bit scarred from my undergrad, in that I read into every single question way more than is necessary. So it goes, though. I did use one of the positive aspects of my scarring from undergrad, and clearly stated any and all assumptions where I had to make them, and most of those were taken into account in the grading, so I suppose it all works out.

All in all, I can't complain - I'm satisfied with my grade. And it was a good course - presented some bigger picture thinking and inference off statistics, to emphasizing "what the numbers really mean", rather than just straight number-crunching, "plug-and-chug", which I really enjoyed and appreciate.

One down - eleven to go! ;-)

No comments: